October 27, 2007

I spy with my little eye

There is something about going to the gym that really creeps me out, and it's not just the guys with the football player sized thick necks
or all the bacteria and germs that are lurking on the equipment. What I think disturbs me the most is the spying eyes that I feel upon me whether I am sitting on a stationary bike, doing sit-ups or bending over a bench doing arm raises.

You know how you sometimes get that feeling that someone is looking at you. You might glance up or around in reaction to it and either lock eyes with someone, catch someone looking away or find nothing.

I don't know why it bothers me. I guess I don't like the feeling that I am being watched or that strangers may be undressing me with their eyes. It's rather disconcerting. For me the gym is a place of exercise and not a bar where you go to survey the eye candy and possibly chat someone up. My approach to the gym is more matter of fact: get in, get out and get on with your life. Focus on the task at hand. Period.

I do; however, have a good friend who met her husband at a gym, so maybe I am being too closed minded.

Perhaps the next time I lock eyes with someone, or catch them looking away, I should get up the courage to walk over to them and ask them if they'll spot me. Then again, maybe not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe he or she likes your bod

Emily said...

um, that's highly unlikley given what I wear to the gym.