All the rain we've been having in the Bay area the past couple of weeks has made keeping my bike clean a BIG challenge. A friend gave me a quick bike cleaning 101 lesson about a year and a half ago that inspired me enough to go out and buy a Pedro's brush kit. The problem is that I:1. Never was too sure what to use the various brushes for.
2. Have only been using two of the six-plus brushes that come in the kit.
3. Somehow always manage to get one of the brushes stuck in the derailleur.
4. Have a difficult time with hard to reach places such as the bottom bracket tube and spindle and brake calipers and pads.
6. Have been using an old sponge as opposed to a brush to clean the bike and wheels.
6. Have been using Williams-Sonoma pink grapefruit dish soap as opposed to Dawn.
7. Did not own any Simple Green.
Nevertheless, I have been able to keep the mud, dirt and grime off the bike and the chain reasonably clean and lubed, or so I thought. Yesterday I received a proper bike cleaning lesson from a bike cleaning expert. As a result, my bike is now the cleanest it has been since the day I bought it! I now realize how pitiful my past cleaning attempts have been and I am inspired to properly clean my bike every time. Unfortunately, to do so means I will most likely need to invest in a stand as the automatic garage door tracks are an accident waiting to happen.
Who makes the best, affordable bike repair stand? I have heard that a lot of stands are highly unstable and fall over. It would be nice to find one that is stable and does not break the bank.
Better yet, I don't understand why someone hasn't developed a brushless bike wash?
Imagine the time savings. What a brilliant business idea.
1 comment:
touchless bike wash is an awesome idea. i was just thinking how the rain means that riding is like a really annoying groundhog day. ride, get drenched/filthy, wash and dry clothes, and stuff shoes to dry, try to at least superficially clean bike, lube chain, clean up house which is now a muddy pit due to all of the above, and the most annoying part - REPEAT! its getting very old. i am SO ready for summer.
you'll have to fill me in on how to actually get my bike so it looks clean....
ciao,
virginia
Post a Comment