July 26, 2007

Contador in yellow

Bennati won today's stage and Contador took over the race lead, as expected. Contador now has a 1:53 lead over Evans, with Leipheimer in third at 2:49.

Contador spent his first day in the race leadership without the maillot jaune as TDF organizers decided that no one would wear the yellow jersey today. Nice symbolic decision by race organizers if you ask me.

It was really sad to see the Rabobank riders at the back of the field, but then again, their morale must be low. I can only imagine how hard it must be to find the motivation to push on without a team leader and knowing that you just wasted 10 days of effort for a liar.

It is now down to a two-man battle between Contador and Evans. Saturday's stage 19 time trial will most likley determine the winner. While Contador has a time advantage, Evans is considered a better time trialist. Evans beat Contador by 1:14 in the first TT and Saturday's course is much flatter, which should benefit Evans.

Personally, I hope that Evans wins. While I have been totally impressed with Contador's climbing and his amazing accelerations, he has been linked to Operación Puerto, which makes me wonder whether he is a worthy winner. Assuming that Contador and Evans go 1-2, I would love to see Leipheimer slowed by a mechanical and Sastre to take 3rd. Is that mean of me? I don't know why, but I just don't like Levi.

No comments: