August 2, 2007

To shave or not to shave

A non-cycling friend recently asked me: Why do male cyclists shave their legs?

The following are the reasons I gave her:

-- Road Rash: less painful when sliding on pavement during a crash (similar to carpet burn).
-- Aerodynamics: less wind resistance
-- Easier first aid: hairs make changing bandages more difficult
-- Aesthetics: more muscle definition, smoother and faster look


-- Massage: easier for a masseuse to work muscles
-- Sanitation: hairs hold dirt and debris that can get into wounds
-- Attracts all the ladies -- the most important reason if you ask me

The question I have is, why do cyclists oil their legs?

Sportsbalm claims the benefits are:
-- Muscle protection and recovery
-- Skin care and skin protection
-- Optimization of blood circulation
-- Optimization of the transport of nutrients and waste products

While those may be the benefits, this is what I see as the drawbacks:
-- Attracts dirt and grime
-- Attracts insects
-- Results in messy hands, unless you are successful enough to have someone apply the oil for you
-- Repels women. Honestly, I find the stuff kind of scary. It kind reminds me of those huge body builders on the beach that have been sitting in the sun too long and lubed up their bodies with Tropicana.

3 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

why shave legs?

1. cuz it feels goooood.


oil?

ew ... do people really oil there legs?

f'ing gross.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

there is only one rel reason to shave, let me tell you....

when peeling off tape and bandages, if there is hair, IT HURTS!

I'm shaving my whole body next year.

Emily said...

I have recently seen a couple of local racers in Marin with oil on their legs. Plus, I saw some guys lubing up prior to the Presidio crit a few years ago. Maybe it's a euro thing.