The pharmaceutical industry seems to be creating more and more drugs for conditions that we never knew we had. If you watch enough TV these days, you might get the impression that there's a prescription drug for just about anything that ails you. And that's about right. In recent years, more drugs have come along to treat the conditions that afflict us: heartburn, allergies, depression, anxiety, insomnia and erectile dysfunction.
-- Got a head ache? Pop a pill
-- Can't sleep? Pop a pill
-- Feeling stressed or anxious? Pop a pill
-- Feeling down? Pop a pill
-- Stomach hurts? Pop a pill
-- Can't get it up? Pop a pill
I am plagued by periods on insomnia that are usually brought on by work stress. I have not had a good night sleep in over three weeks. The current catatonic state that I am in now virtually guarantees that I will take something tonight so that I can sleep. The only other alternative would to be to out and get raging drunk and pass out, but I would certainly feel like crap the next day given that I am not a big drinker.
In an effort to explore more natural alternatives, I made an appointment with the sleep expert at the Mt Zion Sleep Center. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of people who can't sleep as the first available appointment is in early December. What a nightmare. And to think I race in this state. It's no wonder my results are less than stellar. Argh!
4 comments:
Exhaustion is HORRIBLE, especially for those that are sleep oriented like myself. I've always liked the idea of going to a sleep clinic, let me know how it is!
Not to sound morbid, but i find i sleep best in coffin like conditions, black and silent! In Japan people can book a rooms in these isolation like chambers called pods, I think they have hotels filled with them. Now that's for me :)
Good luck!
The Japanese pods sounds cool! Too bad I can't install one in my bedroom.
Maybe I'll make a trip to the hardware store this weekend to see if I can buy something for the window to make the room darker.
i'm all about eye blinders once the sun's up!
Are your kidding Emily? Your results are definitely stellar! I'm glad you're seeking more help for your sleep problem though...
Post a Comment